Photo credit – Pederson Photographic
The Dauphin Kings are heading into enemy territory in the drivers seat.
Hosting game two of their quarterfinal series with Swan Valley on Tuesday night, the Kings capped off a furious comeback with a goal from Owen Wareham late to hold off the Stampeders, 3-2.
It was the Stampeders that came out of the gates flying as they scored the first two goals of the game, as they went up two goals just more than 22 minutes into the game.
From that point on, Carson Cherepak was completely dialed in and he wasn’t beaten again.
Luke Morris brought the Kings within a goal with his marker 6:46 into the second which set the stage for an entertaining third period. In the frame, captain Malchuk came up clutch with a shot from the point as his first goal of the playoffs tied the game at two. Then with just less than seven minutes left, Owen Wareham scored for the second straight game as the Kings took a 3-2 win in front of another great crowd at Credit Union Place.
Dauphin is now up two games to nothing in the first to four wins and game three will be played Friday in Swan River.
- Both goaltenders were very good in the game, Cherepak made 29 saves while Kobe Grant also turned away 29
- Dauphin was 0-for-4 on the powerplay while they killed off a Swan Valley powerplay late in the contest
- Logan Calder was named the team’s first star after he recorded a two-point night
- Malchuk had one goal and one assist
- Dauphin has now won nine of the 10 meetings with Swan Valley this season
You can watch Friday’s game on HockeyTV or you can listen to it on 730CKDM with Darnell Duff.