The 2021 preseason has come to a close for the Dauphin Kings.
Wrapping it up with their third game on Saturday, the Waywayseecappo Wolverines won a thriller in a shootout, 4-3.
Carson Baptiste scored the only goal of the first as the Wolverines led 1-0 heading into the second.
Coming back onto the ice for the second, Dauphin carried the play early and they capitalized on their chances.
Lucas Hand scored his first as a King 4:17 into the period and just more than three minutes later, Ben Hackl gave Dauphin a 2-1 lead.
On a man advantage of their own late in the second, Jacob Charko beat Matthias Smith as the game went to the third tied at two.
Braedon Lacomy scored his second goal in as many games early in the period to give Dauphin a 3-2 lead but it didn’t last long as Reese Malkewich tied the game with just more than 10 minutes left.
Parker Malchuk scored in the shootout, but the Wolverines responded with two goals of their own to pick up the win.
By the numbers:
- Dauphin went 1-for-7 on the power play while Waywayseecappo scored once on their four chances.
- Keaton Woolsey started for Dauphin in net, making 13 saves on 14 shots. Matthias Smith went 11-for-13.
- Liam Tereposky went 26-for-29 for Waywayseecappo.
- On top of his first goal as a King, Lucas Hand also had one assist.
- Ben Hackl scored one goal but left the game later after he took a high stick to the face.
Dauphin opens the new season on Friday night in Neepawa. Darnell Duff has the pregame show at 7:15.