A dominant second period has the Dauphin Kings heading into a new week with another win.
The Kings scored four goals in the second period and heavily outplayed OCN on their way to a 4-1 win on Sunday afternoon at Credit Union Place.
After an opening 20 minutes that provided very little, Dauphin found their stride in the second period and they have their special teams to thank. The team’s first three goals in the second period came on a power play, the first of which was on a 5-on-3.
Nick Braun opened the scoring on the man advantage at the 1:46 mark and just 58 seconds later, Ben Hackl gave Dauphin a 2-0 lead.
On another powerplay a very short time later, Hayden Lacquette of Dauphin found the back of the net as the Kings took a commanding 3-0 lead with all three goals coming in the periods first 6:50.
Colby Jaquet made it 4-0 with his first of the season at the 8:57 mark.
Brock MacDonald would cut into Dauphin’s lead late in the third period but it wasn’t near enough as the Kings skated off with a 4-1 win.
The win improves Dauphin to 4-2 on the season while OCN drops to 3-2-0-1. The two clubs will play another weekend home-and-home next weekend, with Friday’s game coming at Credit Union Place. Next Sunday, the two teams meet at Roy H. Johnston Arena in The Pas.
- With Lacquette’s goal, three of Dauphin’s four players from the Parkland have now scored a goal this season. Brayden Dube was held off the scoresheet as he made his debut with the team and played very well
- Carson Cherepak made his fifth straight start for Dauphin, four of which are wins
- Dauphin outshot OCN 40-31 and they recorded 21 shots alone in the second period
- As they did entering the weekend, Dauphin remains tied with Waywayseecappo for first place in the West Division as both teams are 4-2. OCN is one point back
- Dauphin’s three powerplay goals has them sitting at 33.3% on the man advantage (7-for-21) which is the third highest in the league, only behind Waywayseecappo and the Blues
- The season series between OCN and Dauphin is now 1-1