Saturday’s game started off with a bang for the Dauphin Kings and it ended off with an even bigger bang.
Tied 2-2 late against Waywayseecappo, Luke Morris pounced on a puck in front of the net and scored the game-winner with just 26.5 seconds left as Dauphin skated to a 3-2 win, their second straight against Waywayseecappo.
It was Morris’ 19th goal this season and it was certainly his biggest as Dauphin won their 31st game of the season.
To open the contest, it took Dauphin just seven seconds to score as Kaden Bryant got away on a breakaway and tucked the puck past Brett Mirwald. Just about 35 seconds later, Nick Braun found the back of the net as Dauphin took a 2-0 lead.
Waywayseecappo fired back with two quick goals in 50 seconds early in the third period to tie the game; however, they would never lead in the game.
Ultimately, Morris scored his third game-winner of the season. His first was during the second game of the season against the Neepawa Titans.
Carson Cherepak was solid in net as he made 28 saves. Dauphin is back in action on Monday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. against the Titans at the Yellowhead Centre. They return to Credit Union Place next Friday when the Wolverines come back to town.
- Dauphin is 5-1 against Waywayseecappo this season
- Dauphin went 0-for-3 on the man advantage; however, they were perfect on the penalty kill, going 4-for-4.
- Kaden Bryant scored his 27th goal of the season and picked up assist number 27 as well
- Dauphin is now five points ahead of the Wolverines for first place in the West Division, with a game in hand.
- They remain four points back of Steinbach for first place overall, also with a game in hand